How was your week? Here are a few highlights from mine:
- The boys have been doing daily pull-ups on the swing set. The other day, they challenged me to a contest to see who could do more. I lost. I mean, I lost big time. I couldn’t even do one. They made me start from a dead hang, and I couldn’t even pull myself up halfway.
2. Speaking of pull-ups and other impossible things, apparently it’s impossible for my children not to put things in their mouths. Do you remember how my son swallowed a penny a few weeks ago? Well, my 2-year-old girl decided to do that too.
But now that I have experience with the matter, I’ll have you know that I completely kept my cool. I observed her for a whole five minutes before I gave up. The first minute she cried. The second minute she started wriggling around again. The third minute she was off playing. And the final two minutes I just watched her from afar. She’s fine.
3. It’s my mom’s birthday tomorrow. Happy Birthday, Mom!
4. Since the temperature rose above 80 degrees the other day, I thought I’d check out the kids’ pool in the backyard. (This is what you do, when you live nowhere near anything cool, like an ocean.)
The children were so excited that I was joining them that they even promised to not splash me so that I could read.
And what was I reading? Nancy Mitford’s Love in a Cold Climate. Mitford was one of Evelyn Waugh’s friends. He even proofread her stuff for her. But this book was marginal. Waugh is a wayyyy better writer. (If you’re looking for a good book to read this summer, pick up Waugh’s Brideshead Revisited.)
Notice the brown water in the pool? Yuck, huh? But that’s just because the sandbox is a few feet away, not because, well, you know.
5. The prairie roses are in full blown. They are the best smelling flower in the whole wide world. They also happen to be our State Flower.
*I’m afraid that floating around in the kids’ pool makes me a Red Neck, if you know what I mean.