Advent begins this Sunday. Have you thought about it yet? I have, and I’ve come up with a few things I won’t be doing. Next week, I hope to put together a list of things I will be doing for those of you who might be curious.
But for today…
8 Things I’m NOT Doing This Advent
- I’m not doing a Jesse Tree. Once upon a time, a long, long time ago, I had a Jesse Tree, and the children colored paper ornaments and cut them out and decorated a dead tree branch. They had a lot of fun. This year? Nope. The Bible will have to do for making those lovely Old Testament stories come alive.
- I also will not have an Advent Calendar filled with chocolates marking out the liturgical season. This is because I’d rather spend that $3.99 on a cappuccino. I guess, our 2020 “Drinking With the Monks” wall calendar from Tan Publishing will have to do.
3. I’m not going to make a single cookie during Advent. I restrained myself last year, too, and it was freeing. We will, however, make cookies during the Christmas octave and eat as many as we choose, while we lick the bowl and fight for the spatula. I do sympathize with those individuals, however, who make their cookies during Advent and freeze them for Christmas. This is laudable–and penitential too, if one doesn’t eat the cookie dough or the cookies until December 25. Oy.
4. I don’t have my box of Advent books out yet; it’s still tucked away in the storage room. I’ve just been too
lazy tired to actually walk down the stairs, turn a corner, open a door, and get it. I’m really hoping that I’ll find the motivation to do so, at least by December 24th. We do have some good ones. So this one probably shouldn’t be on my list of “Things I’m Not Doing This Advent.” Rather this one should be on my list of “Things I Should Get Going On By Sunday.”
5. There is no Elf on my shelf. Nor has there ever been. I understand this is a fun thing for some children, but mine will have to be satisfied with Mary and Joseph traveling around the house, making their way to our nativity set, which I hope to get out soon with that box of Advent books…
6. I’m not going to listen to Christmas music this Advent. Maybe. Goodness, this is such a hard one for me. I love Christmas music so much that it isn’t uncommon for me to blast it any time of the year. Just ask my children. Who doesn’t love a little “Sleigh Ride” in July? This year, however, it’ll be “Advent at Ephesus” with the Benedictines of Mary.
7. I’m not going to buy a ton of Christmas gifts, which you already know about. (See HERE for my Christmas Shopping post.) We’ve been scaling back over the years, as we’ve found that less is more, and it teaches the children gratitude.
8. I’m not decorating for Christmas during Advent. This one is easy to not do for the obvious reason that I don’t have to do anything. We stopped decorating for Christmas during Advent a long time ago. Instead it’s become a family tradition to buy our Christmas tree the last possible minute and decorate it and the rest of our house on Christmas Eve, and I can’t tell you how much fun we have! So I’m not really worried about this one.
May God bless you this Advent!