In the traditional calendar, today is the feast day of St. Gabriel the Archangel. He immediately precedes the Annunciation, which is tomorrow. This makes perfect sense, as he appears to Mary, asking her to be the mother of Jesus. Happy feast day!
In honor of St. Gabriel, I’ll offer 7 things I’m grateful for.
- The Canada geese have been flying overhead all week. (Yes, it’s Canada geese, not Canadian geese. I’ve been corrected!)
And here is a close-up of what they look like for those of you not familiar. These things are big.
We greatly enjoy their raucous honking and the fact that they all land in the cow pasture across the road. It’s great fun. The children and I like to walk down the gravel road to see how close we can get to them.
- As you can also see from the photo, our snow is finally melting. This is not only glorious, but great fun for the children, as they stomp around in the mud and make “rivers” for the water to flow down into the ditch.
- We’ve seen other birds too–little chickadees and killdeer. No robins, though.
- The ducks will all be returning soon, and we’ll be doing our annual Duck Day tour wherein we listen to Peter and the Wolf and identify ducks by name. I’ll be sure to keep you posted.
- I am currently reading Fr. Calloway’s 10 Wonders of the Rosary, which came out earlier this year. Maybe I’ll post more on it later.
- I gave up wearing my winter coat, for the most part. Anything above 30 degrees is spring-like enough for me!
- My favorite local restaurant, Anima Cucina, has some great meatless entrees. My husband took me there a Friday or so ago.
And even though I am not a vegan, I ordered their vegan sandwich.
What are you grateful for?