How was your week? Here are a few highlights from mine:
1. Is it Earth Day yet? I don’t even know when Earth Day is, but my children picked up trash along the ditches the other day. They said that they were bored. So I gave them something to do. (You’d think that they’d learn not to vocalize such things as boredom.)
2. My son swallowed a penny. This was exciting for a minute or two, as I contemplated rushing to the Emergency Room. But as he was not choking, and only mildly uncomfortable, I decided to call a dear friend, who’s daughter a year or so ago swallowed a nickel. And as her daughter didn’t have any problems, and the nickel eventually passed through her system, I decided to wait and see how things would turn out for my son.
About 4 minutes after the initial hysteria, he was running around and eating Cheerios and torturing his sisters. So I concluded that he’d be fine. By the way, this is the same son who decided it was a good idea to jump off the roof of the car to the garage landing and missed. (If you’re wondering, he’s the guy in the green short-sleeved shirt in the photo above.)
3. There was a great Barn Razing in South Dakota, as my family tore down the old barn. This is the same barn in which my dad had egg fights with his brother. And shot pigeons and rats in too.
4. Ever wonder about ponytails? I was thinking about this the other day, while putting a ponytail in my daughter’s hair. What a funny name. I mean, we named a hair style after the rear end of a horse? I’ve never done the research, but this is interesting stuff. It’s like when your hair is really, really messy, and we say, “Your hair looks like a rat’s nest.” Now that makes sense. Or, “Your room is like a pig sty.” Ok. But a ponytail? Why not a Cascading Waterfall? That’s sounds more elegant.
And then there are pigtails…I don’t even know what to think about that.
5. Some of you may be wondering how Strider’s doing? He’s well, as you can see from the photo.